Bangor City Football Club have scrapped plans to pursue a legal challenge against the FA of Wales’ decision to relegate them from the Welsh Premier League.

The eight-time Welsh Cup winners have now accepted they must play in the second-tier Huws Gray Alliance next season.

Last month City were refused essential Tier 1 and Uefa licences required to complete in the WPL and Europe and lost a subsequent appeal.

While the FAW did not disclose the reasons for the rejections, the club later revealed they were on financial grounds.

Bangor’s director of football Stephen Vaughan Jr called a fans’ meeting where it was reported the club intended to take its case to the High Court and then the Court of Arbitration for Sport – the highest possible appeal court – in a bid to overturn the FAW ruling.

Bangor City director of football Stephen Vaughan Jnr with former manager Kevin Nicholson (centre) and assistant Gary Taylor-Fletcher (right)
Bangor City director of football Stephen Vaughan Jnr with former manager Kevin Nicholson (centre) and assistant Gary Taylor-Fletcher (right)
(Image: Richard Birch)

However, the club issued a statement on Wednesday morning saying: “Since hearing the devastating news that we had failed our tier one domestic licence and UEFA licence for season 2018-2019, we as a club have been exhausting every avenue to try get the decision overturned.

“The possibility of the High Court as well as CAS were both options explored. After seeking legal advice from barristers’ counsel and solicitors, the board of directors at Bangor City FC can confirm that there was no guarantee that the case would be successful.

“With the financial pressure involved to pursue this legal matter it would leave the club in a perilous position and could have significant implications on the immediate return to the Welsh Premier League.

“A new accounts team have been appointed to ensure that this situation never arises again and that the tier one licence will be obtained next season.

“Bangor City FC will have a budget in place to enable the new management team to compete at the top of the Cymru Alliance as well as compete strongly in all cup competitions.

“We have yet to be told by the Welsh FA if we will or will not compete in the Irn Bru Cup. We are told we will be given an answer on this in early June.”

The club added that “due to unforeseen circumstances” Thursday’s proposed press conference to reveal the new management team for 2018-19 has been postponed and will now be next Wednesday at Nantporth Stadium.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here